Tuesday, April 15, 2008

More Motivation

Yes, I know. My last entry was on motivation. But heck, so will today's entry as I'm just that crazy! Seriously. The tests say so.

Yesterday's article was typed while on the couch but as I hit Publish, I visualized why I want to run. The desire too get fitter, healthier, and faster. That got me off the couch, down to the gym, and then on the treadmill for a fast run. And I pushed hard and felt the burn! Oh yeah! (I know - treadmill when it's spring - lame. But, it was late and it's just to floors down from my condo).

Today I went for a run outside when I got back from work. I was a little tired from the run yesterday but told myself to do it. ~~VISUALIZE~~ And the result - fantastic! I started a bit slow and was thinking I wouldn't make my target pace. But I told myself to keep pushing. After the first 15 minutes my legs warmed up and I was speeding up. My iPod tunes coursed through my body and intensified the fiery blood going through my veins, pumping my adrenaline. After hitting the turnaround point it was more of an uphill battle (i.e. it was net uphill), but I pushed through and speed up for the last half. In the end, a nice 10km run at my exact target pace - 4:47/km. Sweet!

The lesson from this: get out there even if you feel a bit tired. I was tired when I started, but after warming up I was able to push myself into a nice, intense workout. Had a still felt sore after that time, I might have held back and cut the run short to prevent injury.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Happy Birthday Terry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hey there~
Great job on the run! 4:47/km is AMAZING. At this point I can only dream it!

Thanks for the tips on visualizing motivation! :)

I noticed on your sidebar that you're running the Mississauga half!I'll be running that one too, in just a few weeks! Are you ready?!

Terry said...

Hey

Thanks for the kudos! Good luck as Mississauga. It will be a fun race (I've run the full 3 times). I'm ready in that I will complete, but a PB may be out of the question.

Terry